995

 

23NOV06

    In mid '04 I did a series of comics celebrating the 500th Ravy sprite comic. It had guest stars galore: Dave Anez, Rick O'Shay, Deccus, Chickbot, Maneko, ect...ect. I of course asked for permission to publish these characters in a comic. I got back one response. First off he gave me some advice which I still follow to this day: Ask first then do the comic. Then he turned rather nasty and trashed one of the other people that was in that comic. On top of that he never gave me a yes or no.

    Fast forward a year. I ask a bunch more people to use their characters in the above comic. I sent a copy of the comic and additional script for their characters and asked if they could think up some more jokes. I got back three responses this time. The first one thought I was asking to use Dr. Light. Second guy was the same one from a year earlier. Said I never sent him the comic. He for some reason doesn't know how to download attachments in Hotmail. Which is hilarious because he is on the Bob and George review board. So I re-send the comic and break down the script by who says what. He blows a gasket. "...My whole cast.?" Which had me laughing my ass off because of the dozen or so characters that make regular appearances in his comic, only one is original. The rest come from video games, anime, and manga. To top it all off, all the character models are recolors and edits of other people's work. To this day he is still Flaming and lying about me all over the place. Because of the comic shown above.

    The third response made my day. They said no, but was pleasant about it. That person turned out to be the one who was royally trashed a year earlier. They were absolutely nothing like was described to me. This person used to be apart of a rather popular web community. They were happy not to be a part of it anymore. This isn't the only one, there is another guy who used to be with this web community and voices his dissatisfaction to no uncertain terms. You can lump me in with those two 'cause I'm glad I never joined up with the aforementioned web group.

    After all that I still have more to say. Some of you out there...okay, one of you, may gasp at the fact I have used the "Author" character in my comic. "How did you get Dave's permission?" I didn't. Here's why: I didn't use the Author/Dave characterization. Second, I don't need Dave's permission to use a Megaman recolor in my comic. Third, look closer, The coloring is off, I did that on purpose. He is the surviving member of the Davestator group.  There might be someone out there who might recognize the character model in the lower right corner as being Joseph "Legendary Frog' Blanchette's Kerrigan. How much trouble can I get in for using her? Not any more for using all those Megaman, Sailor Moon, Tenchi recolors and edits. If JLB has a problem, All I have to say is this: "Dude, it's yours, do with as you please." If for some reason he's anything like the idiot I just spent a lot of time yakking about: I'll just give him the finger, change its name, use it to my heart's content, and point out how he's used other people's work in his movies. That is harsh, but I've been stung too many times by people who I thought to be polite, cordial, thoughtful, understanding, but were instead assholes.

Will I ever publish the 500th Celebration comics? Yes. When? No clue.

 

P.S. I read Doonesbury even though I disagree with a few G. B. Trudeau's political views. He has original characters, hand drawn, and doesn't smear people out dying for our rights to smear people dying for or rights.